Pages

To Think About

Perspective
Less is more. Unless you're standing next to the one with more. Then less just looks pathetic.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Get A Clue

I've always said that boys are dumb. (Sorry,
History
Seems to agree with me.) Conveniently,
They're simply
Wired with an ON and OFF button. They complain,
Like in pain,
That girls are too complicated to perceive,
Then they leave
Us alone with our "complications." It is why,
I won't lie,
We have faders and knobs that pan left and right.
Quite a sight.

I don't say you're dumb because you're different.
What I meant
Was that you're too oblivious to notice
Obvious
Feelings. And when you finally do, you fear
What is near.
You're dumb because you leave and try to forget.
Then you get
It all of a sudden. But I won't be there, dear.
Shed no tear,
It's your fault you fail to grasp simple "I love you."
Get a clue.

Tirza Magdiel, April 2008

In Brit Lit II this semester, we were supposed to write a poem mimicking one of Robert Browning's poem. For that class, I wrote a poem called "Home." However, I was kind of frustrated this one day and started thinking about random things. I got thinking about why boys are dumb and came up with another poem mimicking a Browning poem. I'm not man-hating, I could tell you that for sure. I just have heard that phrase being thrown around a lot. Even I would use it a couple of times in different occasions. In high school one of my friends came up with this:

Guys are stupid, guys are dumb
All they do is just chew gum

Guys are stupid, guys are dumb
They say they will but they don't come

Something like that. So I ventured to try to explain why girls can say that guys are dumb. And I came up with this poem. I'm not bitter. I'm not mad. I'm just trying to communicate the frustration that girls experience when dealing with guys. It is a known fact that we, the female species, can never fully understand guys.

No comments: