Pages

To Think About

Perspective
Less is more. Unless you're standing next to the one with more. Then less just looks pathetic.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Season Finale


So, I finished watching the last season of Veronica Mars. My roommate suggested that I move on to more bad boys. In Buffy, for example.

Sigh. But alas. My heart is still captured by the teenage detective series.

I think it's public knowledge now that one of the reasons for my unending love for Veronica Mars is the presence of the hot boyfriend (or ex-boyfriend, or whatever Logan Echolls decides to be). Nevertheless, there are other aspects that contributes to my love for Veronica Mars.

Mystery novels. Murders. Who did it? It's like the CLUE game, where you try to find who did it, where, and with what. Do I have to spell it out again? Hint: it's the whole thing about humankind loving danger and adventures. Yeah. That's the one.

Okay. Forgive me for I have sinned. It's been xx days since my last confession. The big reason why I'm oh so head over heels about this tv series is Logan. Okay. Here comes the analysis.

I've watched a few episodes of Veronica Mars in the past - just a few, not all of them. After these few days of Veronica Mars marathon, I have come to the decision that Season 3 wasn't as good as the first two seasons. To be honest, I am biased. Can you blame me? Veronica dumped Logan and hooked up with a guy named "Piz."

Seriously?

At first glance, the end of season 3 seems to be a depressing moment in the lives of those who want Logan and Veronica to end up together. (In case you don't know, that would be me.) However, after thinking about it and consulting the special features in the DVD package, I received an epiphany.

Scenario #1: Saying, "You're stupid," to someone. Direct, to the point, plain and simple.
Scenario #2: Expose the person's stupidity in front of an audience, causing humiliation... This to be done without a single time saying "You're stupid" to the person. But boy, oh boy, they get the message clearly.

The difference between scenario #1 and scenario #2? It's called literary genius.

And I think that was what the creators of Veronica Mars wanted to accomplish in the Logan/Veronica relationship as portrayed in Season 3. Brilliant. Astonishing. Simply a masterpiece.

Let's take a look (figuratively, of course) to the last scene of Veronica-Logan-Piz in the season finale. At first I hated the scene because I thought it wasn't powerful enough. I changed my mind. The scene became one of my favorite Logan-Veronica scene in this season.
She was in the cafeteria. Logan came to apologize to her for beating her boyfriend up, which was, of course, an amazingly intense yet exhilarating scene. Veronica told him that it was going to take some time for her to be able to get over what Logan has done. After finding out the perpetrator behind Veronica's raunchy video footage, Veronica decided not to do anything, for it was a politically weighty matter. The scum said some things that he surely would take back if he knew who Logan was. Surprise, surprise. The Echolls' temper came through. Logan completely beat up the guy. I love it that the guy said, "Whoever you are, you're going to die." And, Logan charmingly replies, "Yeah. Someday." Pretty amazing line there.

After this little witty comment here, the rest of the scene involves the power of facial expressions more than verbal attempts. Logan looks at Veronica with his usual bad-boy-and-knight-in-shining-armor mix. He smiled, and ran into Piz. He apologized to Piz about everything and walked away. Veronica was looking at Logan with this unexplainable adoration in her eyes. She had this look that said, "This is the man I love." And then she looked at Piz. I guess she had to realize that sooner or later she had to come to terms with the fact that Piz is her boyfriend, not Logan. She couldn't even look at Piz for too long. Piz, on the other hand, realized his defeat. He knows that at the end of the day, there was only one man for Veronica, and he's not it.

Powerful, isn't it?

Mind recalling that Veronica did storm into Logan's hotel suite in an earlier scene and told him that she did not want him in her life anymore. Ah. The things people say and what they end up doing rarely matches.

I feel that this method of telling their story is simply brilliant. The creators didn't just write the story and handed it on a silver platter. The ambiguity of the scene was golden. It draws out feelings, rather than describes plot.

Of course, no one knows whether those two stubborn, thick-headed people will end up together again. They each have their own pretty ornaments that decorate their lives: Logan with his irresponsibility and temper inherited from his family, and Veronica with her deep-seethed need to be suspicious of everyone. But no one can really doubt that these two flawed personalities share a bond that even their own corrupt lives can't seem to break.

Yes. I'm talking about cinematography.
Yes. I'm talking about script writing.
But I guess I'm more talking about powerful expressions.

Sometimes. It does not require words to communicate how you feel or what you think. When words fail (And trust me. It will.), actions and expressions scream the point across.

No comments: