Pages

To Think About

Perspective
Less is more. Unless you're standing next to the one with more. Then less just looks pathetic.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Choices

"Life is about choices, but discerning the right choice to make will always be a mystery."

I posted that in response to a friend's Facebook status question. She was asking her friends on what they are pondering about.

I am the kind of person who likes to know what is going on. I want to know what I should be doing and when I should be doing it. I want to know what to expect. I guess I'm telling you that I am a control freak. I've mellowed out throughout the years, but control freak tendencies still loom in my subconscious.

The same friend who had posted the Facebook status introduced me to the works of Frederick Buechner. I am currently reading through Godric. Some passages capture my attention and draw me to ponder on them. I will share one about choices in life.

"'This life of ours is like a street that passes many doors,' Ball said, 'nor think you all the doors I mean are wood. Every day's a door and every night. When a man throws wide his arms to you in friendship, it's a door he opens same as when a woman opens hers in wantonness. The street forks out, and there's two doors to choose between. The meadow that tempts you rest your bones and dream a while. The rackribbed child that begs for scraps the dogs have left. The sea that calls a man to travel far. They are all doors, some God's and some the Fiend's. So choose with care which ones you take, my son, and one day - who can say - you'll reach the holy door itself'" (Buechner, 24).

No comments: