Pages

To Think About

Perspective
Less is more. Unless you're standing next to the one with more. Then less just looks pathetic.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Island of the Gods: Revisited


It's been one whole year since I went to Bali. The last time I visited the exotic island was with my friends for our church camp. My experience going to Bali with my friends is something I will never ever forget. This year's Bali trip is also one that I will never forget. Whereas last year, I went to Bali with my friends, this year I went with my parents. You see, that in itself is already a miracle. The last time my parents were in Bali was close to about thirty years ago. Imagine that! So what triggered my parents to go to one of my favorite vacation spots? Here's the story. My dad went and preached at a church this one Sunday in the beginning of May. After the service, two ladies came up to him and asked him if he could please fly to Bali and pray for their villa there. My dad wasn't very interested in doing that, so he politely came up with excuses not to go there. These two ladies kept on asking my dad, though, if he had the time to pray for their villa in Bali. My dad nonchalantly brought the subject up in a conversation with me and my mom. I jumped at the thought of going to Bali, and asked my dad why he won't go to Bali and bring us along with him for a short holiday. So with very minimal persuasion, my dad decided to go to Bali & bring us along with him. To cut the story short, my dad told the lady's secretary that we're coming with him to Bali. Lo and behold, they decided to pay for all three of us to go to Bali... AND, they are letting us stay in one of their villas! We thought that that was a good deal! The reality far exceeded our expectations. We checked in and got our boarding pass, but, strangely, along with our boarding passes, we each got an "Executive Lounge Voucher." I, naively, thought to myself: wow, Garuda's really improved their service. It didn't dawn on us until we got on the plane. Our seats were in rows 2 and 3. The small number should have been a clue, but I guess weren't looking for an anomaly. We were put in Executive Class, while we were expecting to be in Coach. It was a new experience. I have never traveled in Business or First Class before. This was a change I embrace without complaint. It would just be very comfortable to travel to and from the United States (the 18-hour plane rides) in First Class. This was the first time during the trip that I said aloud: life is beautiful. We got to Ngurah Rai Airport in Bali at 6:45pm. A driver picked us up to get us to the villa in Seminyak. The resort and villa is called SILQ at the Kerobokan. It was amazing. They have 17 suites, 2 junior suites, and a penthouse. I went in the villa set aside for us and gaped. (It was a suite, by the way.) We had a private pool and a private jacuzzi. The room was amazing! The bathroom was amazing! And the service was to die for! I think it's a personal butler service type.So it's like having our own butler! They serve us breakfast in the room. And they provided us with a car and a driver to go wherever we want to. The best thing is: we didn't have to pay anything.Oh my, there's really nothing more I can say. Life is beautiful.


No comments: