Pages

To Think About

Perspective
Less is more. Unless you're standing next to the one with more. Then less just looks pathetic.

Monday, September 13, 2010

NYC Trip Note #2

Wow. Today has been a really long day. It’s actually quite hilarious.


It actually started right after I finished writing my last journal. Huh? You wonder. That happened last night. Well... Yes. My last night and this morning has blurred into one giant entity - sleep depravity. I boarded a very full Continental flight 234. I have planned to sleep during the four hour on the plane. It wouldn’t be enough sleep, but at least it’s something. Apparently, there are just some things you could not plan. In the row right next to me, there were two babies who screamed bloody murder every couple of hours. Therefore, no rest for my poor mind. I got to the airport and had to wait for an hour and a half for a shuttle driver who fell asleep and didn’t respond to the notification that I had arrived and needed a ride. A nicer driver came and gave me a ride to my hotel, but by that time, I was so tired. It took me all the energy in my veins to be able to keep a good attitude about it. Or to not convulse into sobs. As soon as I got into my hotel room, though, everything turned for the better.


I checked in, changed, washed my face, make myself presentable, and then went on to find a Starbucks. I’m not a huge fan of Starbucks, but it is a familiar taste of home. And of course, that made the day a whole lot better.


Oh. I also got over my anxiety issues about going on an adventure in a foreign land.


I went to Pier 78 and took a 90-minute skyline tour of New York. It was good, exactly how I like to enjoy the sights. I like to hear about the history and the background behind events and landmarks. It was kind of heartbreaking to hear about 9/11 though, even though it has been nine years. It is still an unbelievably grievous thing.


After that, I went to the Empire State Building. Whoa! The view... It’s like being on top of the world. Side note: I broke a nail.


On the way to Empire State Building, I passed Bryant Park and saw all these signs for their Fall Festival. Apparently today, it was scheduled for the New York City Ballet to perform at Bryant Park. So, of course, I decided to go. After being there and getting settled for half an hour, reading my grad school material, the crowd was interrupted by a rumbling that originated from the sky. We disregarded that and continued doing all the things we were doing. The rumbling happened again. No precipitation, although worry clouded the faces that have crowded the park. A man came and announced that the show was cancelled. As the crowd groaned and the man apologized, the rumbling cloud shed heavy drops that began to pour like nothing else. Yep. My welcoming gift from the Big Apple is a big thunderstorm. I think I ruined a pair of shoes.


The good part of the night came when I finally saw my friend, Stephanie. Stephanie and I have been friends since kindergarten. We’ve been in so many classes together and played in the orchestra together. However, we haven’t really hung out these past four years. You know, college. We had lots of fun catching up and eating one of the most delicious pizzas I have ever tasted at Serafina on 55th and Broadway. Oh my word.


Today has been a great day. I’m tired, but I’m still up watching a Meg Ryan movie and writing this entry. See ya soon!

No comments: